Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Questions for Consistency

As I mentioned, several other teachers are going to be piloting the same system as me, well a similar system.  One of the greatest complains with points grading is the inconsistencies.  Thus, we want to make sure we, as a group, are consistent in our implementation of SBG and AFL.  Here are a few of the issues we need to address:
·         Number of levels
o   I use a 5-1 scale.
o   4-1 is used for EOC’s
o   4-0 has been suggested, as has 5-0
·         Zeros
o   I’ve been putting in 1’s for no data but I dunno about the logic of that. . .
o   Will we use them at all? 
o   How will we use them?
·         Missing/late work
o   This pertains particularly to missing/late summative grades like papers, presentations and lab reports.
o   Again, I am using 1’s for assessments
o   For homework and practice, I grade anything any time they turn it in. 
o   Zeros?
o   Rules for accepting it?
·         Retakes
o   I allow retakes on everything, given the completed retake ticket.
o   Allowed on all tests? Some tests?
o   Protocol for retakes?
o   Full credit, partial credit, no credit?
o   Admission price?
·         Homework policy
o   For me, it’s just practice
o   Just practice?
o   Part of summative grade?
o   Recorded? Not recorded?
o   Collected and graded or not?
·         Percent conversions
o   Basically, 5=A+, 4=A-, 3=B-, 2=C- <2=F.  I have some smaller gradations in there because the + and – factor into GPA. 
o   How will the mastery levels be converted back into percents for the regular grade card?
I will add more as we come up with these questions and the responses we generate. . . . stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment