Friday, October 21, 2011

Getting Started

October 21, 2011
Starting suggestions
I thought it might be beneficial for me to throw out a few suggestions for anyone interested in attempting a journey similar to mine.  This is essentially the process I have followed. 
 
1.       Come up with standards
§  It will take a few tries, but start with CLE’s, throw in your curriculum and rephrase
·         The CLE’s have never seemed clear to me so I created my own standards and referenced the CLE’s.
·         Don’t always start with CLE’s.  You know you teach the CLE’s.  Start with your wording and reference the CLE’s
§  Get them all typed up then you can rearrange it.
·         Just type.  That’s the easiest way.  You’ll never have the perfect order, just one good enough for now.   
§  Could also start with state standards and use a, b, c to clarify under standards.
2.       Determine how you want to assess these standards
§  Backwards design!
§  Will you use a 5 level scale, 4 level scale, points . . .
§  Retakes fall in this category too
·         Will you allow retakes?
·         Will students retake same test, entire test, parts of test?
3.       Come up with grade book setup
§  Will you grade homework?
§  Will you record homework?
§  Will you use percentages or mastery levels?
§  How many assessments are necessary to know mastery?
§  Will you use bound paper grade book, binder paper or excel?
4.       Determine if there are any necessary changes to your classroom practices
§  Most of the time, little needs to change. 
§  The classroom will naturally shift itself to a focus on learning and away from points or that has been my experience. 
The best advice I can give is just to start.  You will never find the perfect approach and odds are you will never be completely happy with the system you have created.  I know I’m not.  I am immensely pleased with the progress and changes I have seen in my classroom thus far but it is far from perfect.  Every day brings a new set of challenges and every group of students is different and requires a slightly different approach.  But the rewards are well worth it.  I’m seeing students excited about learning, students who ordinarily give up are striving for better, exceptionally bright students are learning and not just looking for the points game.  It really is amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment